What is the difference between medical and recreational cannabis?
April 18, 2018
Patients taking cannabis for medical reasons generally use cannabinoids to alleviate symptoms while minimizing intoxication, whereas recreational users may be taking cannabis for euphoric effects. Medical cannabis is authorized by a prescriber who provides a medical document allowing individuals to obtain from a licensed producer or apply to Health Canada to grow their own, whereas recreational cannabis is currently obtained through illicit means.
Benefits for medical cannabis vs. recreational:
- Physician authorized to accommodate workplace policies
- Farm-to-table from a Health Canada Licensed Producer
- Compassionate pricing from some Licensed Producers (based on income)
- Claimable medical expense on taxes
- Coverage through health benefits
- Physician care and support
- Higher possession limits